Monday, July 7, 2008

Book Thirteen


7/7/2008 – Our Kind by Kate Walbert *
Why: I think it was a Barnes and Noble Har Mar book club selection
First Impressions: It was short and I thought it should be an easy read. Not so.
Emotions Felt: Bored. Kate Walbert writes comically about a group of women (divorcees from the 1950’s) that I care nothing about. And still, in her writing, I cared nothing about them. Not sure if there were too many characters strung together or I was just being negative in my reading of this story. I just didn’t feel it. Some of the chapters were compelling. The women who got photographed naked pregnant – and then had her child ?!@# and the fact that one women ended up in the hospice, another daughter committed suicide. It seemed a shame that the author wrote this as a short story. Her writing was so authentic and witty that I might have been entertained in a novel. Then again, maybe not.
Any Remaining Questions: Nope
Who Would Like This Book: The Har Mar book club, retired women who have been there and done that

No comments:

Post a Comment