Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Book Eighteen


9/9/2008 – How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez **
Why: Picked by the Stillwater Book Club. I, however, thought the book choice was In the Time of the Butterflies and had to rush to finish. Was not an easy, quick read but rather a series of vignettes that didn’t call me in. The writing was magnificent but the technique of writing the ending first and then telling the story backwards felt awkward. I didn’t finish (after going to book club) the last 100 pages because the rest of the book club felt much the same way and didn’t see the conclusion as tying the whole book together. I tried to convince the book club to read In the Time of the Butterflies which I think is a much more captivating story and a better representation of the unique talents of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment