Friday, May 22, 2009

Book Eleven


There's a little something wonderful about Ann Patchett in the way that she writes. It feels honest and approachable and very non-Jodi Picoult ish. I feel like I might want to be her friend if I met her in real life. And yet, her writing doesn't quite grasp hold of me the same as Anna Quindlen or Julia Glass. Almost, but not quite.

Run was a difficult book for me to finish. The characters were developed but not enough that I cared about them in the morning when I woke and at night when I tried to read ten pages before bed. I wanted to know more about Sullivan, the young man who killed his girlfriend in a car crash and derailed his father's political ambitions. He was a minor bit character unfortunately and this was Tip's story. But all Tip wanted to talk about was the science of fish. Boring.

Patchett says the topic of the book is politics. To me, it is and always will be a book about family. Kirkus Reviews sums it up by saying "Compelling story but thematically heavy-handed." I concur. I might recommend this book to Patchett lovers but I won't sing its praises.

No comments:

Post a Comment