Sunday, November 15, 2009

Book Thirty One

My first impression of this book was:  dammit will Kate DiCamillo STOP repeating herself already?  I must say, I missed the whole point of that technique.  The specialness of the book didn't hit me until the author's acknowledgments on the last page giving thanks to those who walked with her through a long winter's night.  To me, DiCamillo means to say that an elephant comes to us all when we despair most.  And a community of others will help us get to the place we are supposed to live.

Way too much time on Vilna Lutz though.  What is DiCamillo trying to tell us about this old soldier with half a brain? This is a lyrical book but it does beg to be read aloud.  I'm not sure my understanding of the novel is what DiCamillo intends.  I did enjoy but without the dramatization and setting constructed by brilliant illustrator Yoko Tanaka, the book is just page upon page.  I could have skipped this one and I hate to say that about DiCamillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment