Thursday, December 31, 2009

Book Thirty Five


Well, my aspiration of becoming an official bibliophile will have to wait one more year.  But I'm proud nonetheless that I worked my head around 35 books.  I KNOW that I can hit 50 in 2010!

The last book I finished in 2009 was the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  Craziest book title ever but a poignant story.  I love reading about the occupation and World War II and felt pleasantly introduced to the Guernsey Islands and its inhabitants.  My fascination for London is quickly escalating and I would LOVE.  LOVE.  LOVE to travel to Guernsey in person. 

The love story . . . didn't do much for me.  But I enjoyed reading all the letters describing Elizabeth and others who demonstrated great acts of courage.  The author writes in a style that resembles Maeve Binchy.  The characterization and sense of place is spot on.  This was a quick read.  I couldn't necessarily predict the surprises that lay in store and I wanted to read more.

I am happy for Mary Ann Shaffer that she could write such a novel in her golden years.  I won't remember this novel for long but am glad it has been published and will fill library shelves.

2 comments:

  1. I concur. I loved it while I was reading it, but very unmemorable. And the love story was pretty flat. I do want to go visit Gurnsey. Maybe in 10 years!:) What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm not sure if I'll ditch the photos or do it year after year and it will eventually become like wallpaper. It's a big hallway.

    ReplyDelete