Saturday, January 2, 2010

the first one.

Starting over this year and my first book read is:
Traveling with Pomegranates


I didn't think too much of this book in the beginning.  Bought it 50% off in Cleveland.  Great title though about the legend of Demeter and Persephone and the transformation mothers & daughters go through.  Initially, I felt the authors (mother and daughter Kidd) had way too much time on their hands to analyze dreams and explore foreign countries.  Rough life.

That said, this was an extremely honest reflection on discovering oneself.  I'm insanely jealous of the time they spent exploring Joan of Arc and the Black Madonnas and Athena in Greece & Paris.  If you love Secret Life of Bees, you'll enjoy Traveling with Pomegranates.  Sue Monk Kidd talks about writing the book here.  I would recommend to Claudia et al who like feminist literature but no others.

1 comment:

  1. I like the title. How's that for a deep thought!:) Hope you're enjoying your break!

    ReplyDelete