Saturday, January 2, 2010

the one that moves too slow.

Twenty 10 is off to quite the start!  I finished my second book on January 2nd.  Don't expect to see me back here for a few days though as I'm breaking open page 1 of The Help next.

In Praise of Slowness by Carl Honore.  Learned about this book on a blog last spring.  Opened the book right away and wasn't terribly interested.  It really spoke to me though in late December when the world was crashing in.  I decided to change my schedule at work and (gasp) close the door for extended times when I was answering my email/phone messages.  I also shifted to a new way approach of handling email aka ALWAYS CLEAR OUT THE INBOX!  I stayed away from social lunches that drained my energy and actually ended up leaving work on time.


A few interesting thoughts/quotes:

"The secret of life is always to look for the tempo guisto"

Harvard Dean Harry Lewis writes a letter to every undergraduate freshman entitled "Slow Down."

In the early 1900s, many actually predicted a decreased work week (4 hours a day).  Hah!

"There is more to life than increasing it's speed"  Gandhi


A good book but it's not flashy and didn't always engage my attention.  Couldn't slow down enough to read it, I guess.  Oh the irony  . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment