Saturday, April 10, 2010

the one that is really sick.

The Cement Garden is the first novel that Ian McEwan ever published and it really makes me question the author's lucidity and values.  This book is chillingly morbid and dark as it explores themes of sexuality and death.  Four children are left orphaned by the death of their two parents.  What ensues after they are left to their own devices in their home is nothing short of awful. 

I don't know what to do with this book now.  It feels wrong on my book shelf.  I can't believe I was gifted this book by a member of the Stillwater Book Club. 

Perhaps being totally creeped out by a book is a sign that the author has extraordinary skill in expression and imagination.  But something this bad cannot be good.  I think I might be done with McEwan now.

1 comment: