Friday, April 8, 2011

eat, pray, love without the eat

My good friend Jordan gave me Poser: My Life in Twenty Three Yoga Poses for my birthday.  She fondly remembered my former life as a yoga junkie.  I'm still trying to find yoga as part of my life now.

I liked this book.  You would too.  That is, if you liked the middle section of Eat, Pray, Love.  This is basically the memoir Elizabeth Gilbert would have written had she stayed home, got pregnant and brought up kids in left leaning North Seattle.

Claire Dederer made me laugh at times.  Esp when she talked about the quest for perfection in motherhood.  The wood toys, the dansko clogs, the ultimate nap schedule.  I liked reading about the yoga too.  But the memoir part just didn't come together for me.

That said, I can really, REALLY get behind the ultimate message of the book:  We need less goodness in life, more joy.

p.s. I know my bookshelf needs some editing when I had to put this book (alphabetically) next to Great Expectations by Dickens.  Egads!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, this made me laugh...wooden toys, dansko clogs - so Seattle.

    ReplyDelete