Friday, December 5, 2008

Book Twenty Four


12/5/2008 – The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay***
Why: Kate Nelson recommended it for our Stillwater Book Club. One of her mothers (son is a Nat’l Merit Scholar) said it was their top book club read ever.
Emotions Felt: reflection, lots of it. Bored at times but loved the characterization. I felt I really knew Peekay and his role models (Doc, Hoppie, etc.) I liked how Peekay seeing the snake served as an omen. It reminded me of my own snake sighting in the summer of 2007. I thought some of the happenings in the book were a little too neat. How he fought his wet nurse’s son. How he met the Judge in the end of the book. I agree that the book might have had more power had the last 15 pages been left off but understand that these events were also a part of his story.
Remaining Questions: Why did he hate his Mom so much? More of this story line would have been interesting. Was this novel really autobiographical? Is the sequel actually good? Is the movie okay?
Quotes: First with the head, then with the heart (Hoppie)
Who Would Like This Book: real readers

No comments:

Post a Comment