Friday, December 19, 2008

Book Twenty Six


12/19/2008 – Here if You Need Me by Kate Braestrup***
Winner of the 2007 Discover Award, Nonfiction
Kate Braestrup was living an enviably happy life as a wife and mother, when one morning her beloved husband was killed in a traffic accident. Fighting her grief, she decided to follow his dream -- and became a chaplain to the game warden service in their Maine community.
Why: Pretty obvious. Needed inspiration and comfort after my mother’s death. Came highly recommended by the Red Balloon Bookshop.
Emotions Felt: I didn’t cry and I didn’t have an Oprah lightbulb moment but I did enjoy the honest, simple observations that she made about life. It made me feel that life really does go on. The book gave me pause when she spoke about her views on heaven and made me question my draw to Unitarian Universalism. I still want to believe in a Christian heaven though I doubt it really exists. I loved being able to ride along in the car as she experienced the up and down days of a game warden. The kind of author that you would really like to meet someday and talk more to.
Remaining Questions: How did she really get through the icky days after her husband’s death. I’m glad she made it through but heard more about the other side than the actually coping with the tragedy.
Who Would Like This Book: Not sure, but I sure did.

No comments:

Post a Comment