Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book Twenty Five


What to say about this book. Terribly readable. I could relate to many parts of the growing up narrative. The first page I bookmarked was Page 97 where Kelly talks about a friend who has lost her mom: "Who's gonna remember what you were for Halloween that year or the name of your fifth grade teacher. Who's gonna loan you money to buy your first house or cry when your baby is born? Who's gonna sit in the front row of your play? Enough said . . .

When Kelly learns her dad has been diagnosed with cancer while she is currently going through chemotherapy . . . the tension in the book is so real. You can tell it's just too much.

But then there were positive moments too. Page 83 puts it in perspective. "This, like the day I was diagnosed, turns out to be a great day, a day to remember, a day when we lived up to ourselves and all our promises to each other."

Oh, oh and the ending. I won't give it away but Kelly totally gets how childhood runs out the back door when cancer hits a family.

I will read a million books about cancer going forward and it won't help me understand but I do understand the author and her words made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment