Friday, August 28, 2009

Book Twenty Six


ooh. ooh. ooh.
I am halfway there. I feel that this goal could be possible now and YET fall TV has already started - Top Chef, Mad Men, Project Runway, Gossip Girl on the way. I will try to limit my TV addiction to just one hour a day leaving room for the pages.

I LOVED this book. Olive Kitteridge is the most interesting curmudgeon I have encountered in a long time. I could picture her to the detail and kept waiting for her to show up in every short story. BNoble describes her as "loud, unnerving, tart-tongued, and completely unforgettable." The other characters could have been quite memorable but there were so many that they started to fade to grey.

Favorite Passages:
p. 162 when she visits Louise Larken "people mostly did not know enough when they were living life that they were living it." When she takes a scissors to her new daughter in law's belongings, when she is taken hostage in the hospital ER because of bad indigestion, the born again parrot in NYC . . .

This book makes me want to visit Crosby, Maine. If the town does not exist, it should. A perfect book club selection (in my mind). I didn't want the book to end.

the 2008 Pulitzer Prize Winner and the most satisfying book I've read this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment