Monday, August 10, 2009

Book Twenty Three


This was an OK book but probably not one I'd recommend outright. It's more of a book to stumble upon. Zadie Smith is an author that excels in piecing words together but I found myself skimming (I'll admit this time) to get through the 400+ pages. I found Kiki to be the most satisfying character and was absolutely disgusted by the male professors by the end of the novel. There is a lot of race relations and political analysis in this book but it bored me a bit. And I was prepared to laugh at the dry humor but didn't even giggle once.

I think the characterizations were spot on and Zadie Smith did an excellent job at painting the life at a liberal, progressive college. I'm not really being fair. In retrospect this was a great book but I didn't necessarily ENJOY reading it, you know? Ah, if I was only more academic. Guess, I've been reading too many novels with bunnies and shoes on the cover lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment