Thursday, June 3, 2010

the one that made me feel dumb.

It's that time of year again folks.  Time to read the Pulitzer Prize winner and add another literary masterpiece to the collection.  There have been lovelies (March and Olive Kitteridge) and real downers (The Road).  Tinkers by Paul Harding was a darling surprise and critics love, love, love.

I just felt dumb reading it.  The novel is told from the perspective of George, as he lays dying, during the last 8 days of his life, hallucinating, and reflecting on his life.  This book is more painting than plot.  If you are one for scenery of the north woods and wordiness about clocks then this is the book for you.  The beginning was poetic and even humorous.  Matt and I read it aloud and fell for the sweet nature of George.  Then, when George started to fall away from life and into memory, I felt a little lost. 

I'd love to know what others think of this book.  A potential gem.  I think I just fell prey to the same loss of consciousness that poor George experiences in this book.  Definitely not a beach read.

No comments:

Post a Comment