Monday, May 24, 2010

the one we read in the car.

I'm slowly coming out from under my library stack.  Thus, the rather obscene number of postings on non-fiction children's topics will soon end.  I was pleasantly surprised by the pages of my latest book.  Matt and I read it together aloud on the drive up to the cabin and learned a thing or two.

Notably . . .
Praise can undermine the motivation of young ones, unless it is specific and intermittent.
Sleep is not for wusses when it comes to kids.  Every hour that they lose costs 10 pts on an IQ test.
Fighting is OK but taking it to the bedroom is not.  Kids need to hear that it has been resolved.
Lying is a developmental milestone.  96% of kids do lie AND on average once every hour.  OMG.

Nurtureshock was a great book.  The last 40 odd pages source the research that backs up the findings.

Loved.  It.

2 comments:

  1. I heard him on the radio and it's on my to-read list. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, sleep info. is disturbing. At conferences I've been trying to tell parents about the praising thing - so much research backs it up. Wow - I have to prepare myself for the lying. Sounds like a good read. I just love your blog! You give me so many good previews of books to read, and I so trust your opinion!

    ReplyDelete