Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the one with buzz.

The tag line for this novel is "imagine Ingmar Bergman crossed with Silence of the Lambs."  How did I miss reading that little quip?  Completely dead on description that might have kept me away.

I finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in less than four days on a transatlantic flight to Dublin.  There is financial intrigue and family saga and stuff that I really don't want to write about.  My good friend the school librarian disliked this book for its treatment of women.  And yet, everyone and their brother is reading Stief Larsson's book this summer and loving it. 

This was the perfect book to read when experiencing jet lag.  It kept me engaged and I raced through the pages.  I'm half tempted to read the next two in the series.  But, I have to say, that I was icked out and sometimes bored.  Without being too critical, this is just not my type of book.  But who am I to say?

4 comments:

  1. I just started it. Good to know you weren't a huge fan so if I don't like it I can commiserate. The neighbors are all nuts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... I've been wondering about these books. Now I know it is a library book, not a purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about this one too. I've been debating because my mom said it was a bit icky. There is so much buzz about it though. Good to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea how these books are being dubbed "feminist." I don't see it at all. I don't think I have the stomach for more of these. Engaging mystery, but far too disturbing for my all-too-precious pleasure reading right now. And of course you can say what is your type of book. If not you, who?

    ReplyDelete