Monday, July 5, 2010

the one about Eating Animals.

Difficult book to read on Fourth of July weekend with barbecuing in full swing.  I hemmed and hawed about reading this book.  I've read Pollan, Schlosser, watched Food Inc.  Wasn't sure what more I could glean that would make me entirely swear off animals and animal products.  When it comes to meat, I'm someone who could take it or leave it.  And usually, I just leave it.

Reviewers of the book appreciate that Jonathan Safron Foer does not try to sway the reader to become a vegan.  In contrast, I felt a little shamed and guilted.  Spots of the book were repetitive and, at times, Foer really knows how to lay it on thick.  But his research appeared to be very current and extensive and ultimately had me convinced.  I learned a little more about the demons of eating poultry and seafood.  Alas, I'd always thought that red meat was the real criminal. 

This book gave me food for thought, a desire to continue shopping locally and will probably lead to much confusion in the meals that follow this month.  A disturbing book by an author that does not hold back one iota.  People will either love this book or decide it's just not for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment