Sunday, March 23, 2008

Book Five


3/23/2008 – The Awakening by Kate Chopin **
Why: Was chosen by the Stillwater Book Club for the March meeting. We met for dinner at Boutwell’s landing and had a fabulous book discussion in the library there.
First Impressions: The writing was fabulous. Lyrical, poetic & beautiful. However, it was a bit stuffy in an 18th century kind of way. A formal book to read. By page 40, I was captivated and finished the rest of the book in a single evening. Compelled to know what happened.
Emotion felt: Intrigue. Though my book club felt Edna made bad choices, I really feel she was truly depressed. I guess I have a different view of depression as outside of choice making. Edna was isolated and on her own. The only person who even tried to step in was Dr. Mandelet, present at the birth of Adele’s baby. I felt sad for Edna not angry. I wonder if she suffered from postpartum depression. The ending was completing shocking. Despite the fact I knew what to expect, I was still taken away.
Any Remaining Questions: All questions answered at book club with the exception of when Edna did the deed. It was unclear and an interesting debate ensued. Favorite Quote: It would be too hard to pick a single quote. When we were trying to determining the above question, members of our book club read some of the last chapters out loud. I wish I could have written a book this spectacular, lovely and enduring.
Who Would Like This Book: Feminists & English majors

No comments:

Post a Comment