Saturday, March 29, 2008

Book Six


3/29/2008 – Beautiful Boy by David Sheff ***
Why: Saw the book in Starbucks and was intrigued. Read the first chapter in Barnes and Noble and still held interest. Was recommended by Nancy Berven who used to live in Bay Area as a compelling read and interesting book for fans of SF
First Impressions: I knew from the start that this book would dominate my weekend and ensure that I got nothing else done. This proved true. I stayed up way past bedtime on Saturday night and yoga the next day was painful. Finished book in 3 days. Stunning.
Emotions felt: So much empathy for what the family was going through. Fear that this could happen to any family Sadness for the talent and potential that was lost. Shock when the dad David had his hemorrhage and nearly died. The book confirmed much of what I learned about Hazelden (secrets make you sick, you didn’t cause it, you can’t change it and you can’t cure it). The book also made me more informed about meth addiction. I think I will be more persuasive with parents about getting their kids into rehab and less ambivalent in my counseling.
Any Remaining Questions: I want to know how David afforded his lifestyle and how much money it took to fund his son’s rehab (family money?) I wonder how Karen (the stepmom) managed to get through all of this. Not much was said about their relationship. I wonder if the younger children will take up drugs (Daisy & Jasper). I wonder if Nic has had another relapse. I wonder if Nic Sheff’s book is nearly as compelling as his fathers.
Who Would Like This Book: This book was a painful, shocking and oddly compelling book to read through. I would suggest that all people should read this book but particularly parents of children entering middle school age. So important.

No comments:

Post a Comment