Monday, March 10, 2008

Book Three


3/10/2008 – Greg Mortenson & Daid Olier Relin *
Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time
Why: March read for Stillwater book club
First Impression: Boring. This is not a writer’s book. Although the first chapter of his ascent to K2 was riveting, I slowly lost interest. Dr Greg wasn’t a likely character to me until I started to see and understand his character and travails more closely. I thought he was just a reckless youth in the beginning. It wasn’t until he was kidnapped and had the money for the school in Korphe and then found he needed a bridge and started getting death threats after 9/11 that I became interested in the novel and Dr. Greg’s mission.
Emotion Felt: Anger for war and also a desire to volunteer and have my own passion in life that drove me to the extent it shaped and inspired Dr. Greg
Favorite Character: I liked Dr. Greg and didn’t like him (at the same time). I guess in the end it was his flaws (disorganization, obsession with the cause) that made me believe in him and want to see him succeed
Any Remaining Questions: Is this a useful endeavor? Realistically, will we ever be able to keep up with the madrassas? Will Dr. Greg win the Noble Prize? And will Dr. Greg’s marriage ever last?
Favorite Quote: All the little quotes at the beginning of the chapters. And especially “when your heart speaks, take good notes” Judith Campbell
Who Would Like This Book: Democrats. Oprah viewers but not great readers.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading a lot of your reviews with intent interest. Hmmmm... yes it is a very worthy cause, and yes it does seem to be reaching the people of these countries - often times better than other tactics that the US has spent trillions on. I thought the second book, Stones into Schools was even more interesting. Dr. Greg won't stop at anything, including personal harm, in an effort to follow through and keep his word. Admirable whether he's a writer or not.

    ReplyDelete