Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Book Fifteen


I realized this week that I have to finish 22 books in the next month to have any prayer of making my goal. Yikes! Luckily our TV has broken down which has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It has been a very productive start to the week.

I started the book Admission when I was at the Harvard Institute on College Admissions. It seemed to fit the theme of the week. I liked the book all in all. It was a bit descriptive and predictable and long. That said, the author depicted the college admissions world true to form. When I read the acknowledgments I noticed that several of the deans who attended the Harvard Institute were mentioned (including Janet Rapelye at Princeton).

The whole process is a bit sad. And Portia, the main character, has a good deal of sympathy for the problem at hand. Plainly, there are too many extraordinary applicants applying to extraordinary schools. What I liked about the book was the author's ability to put the reader right at the table. I felt as if I was reading the very applications and sitting down to the final process.

Portia's admission? Well, it was easy to see that coming. The love story didn't exactly grab me but was merely a vehicle to bring Jeremiah into the story and reveal that there were cracks in Portia and Mark's relationship. Obviously. I agree with this review from a reader: "Predictable from the get go and you'll have it figured long before the book ends. Jean Hanff Korelitz not a bad writer, just needs a more critical editor." I'm eager now to read Gatekeepers and compare.

Would I recommend this book to the Power Mom's at large? Maybe, but it might just get them even more riled up . . . if that's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment