Monday, July 6, 2009

Book Sixteen


Full speed ahead! Finished Valley of the Dolls over the weekend. There really is NO better beach book. I was able to read over 400 pages in less than 48 hours. Found my mom's copy of the book and took a bit of a detour from the reading stack that has been slowing me down. This book really is the best soap opera lit yet to be written. Like Sweet Valley High for grown-ups.

This book confounds me. I can't imagine reading it during the era it was published (1966) and how provocative it must have been (lesbian relationships, drug addiction, questionable mental health treatment, yikes . . . ) I squirmed at the characters while I was reading - how feeble and dependent Anne was and her terrible yearning for romantic love at all costs. Jennifer's vanity that ultimately ends in her suicide. Neely - Ugh! The characters seemed to get under my skin in such a bothersome way. The only character that was somewhat endearing was Kevin Gillmore. Oh, how I ached for him when Anne fell (yet again) for the slimy Lyon. I always feel kind of icky when I finish a book like this. Such a departure from my life but not a path I would want to walk whatsoever.

This is the second time I have read Valley of the Dolls. It was a hit at the Vanaheim book club and stirred a very interesting discussion. I'm a little wary and curious of how it will review at the Stillwater Book Club. I want to hear others' thoughts about how well this book reflects the era. People either love or hate this book. I really like it FOR what the book is. Not great literature but PERFECT for laying out at the beach while downing Cheez Curls and baking in the sun.

p.s. The movie is God awful. Stay away. I've heard that the Group is another cult classic. Hoping to add that novel to next year's summer reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment