Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Book Nineteen


I wasn't terribly excited about reading On Chesil Beach. The size of the book appealed and also the title - it just sounded like a good summer read. Honestly though (much like all of Ian McEwan's books) it left me a little disturbed.

The plot of the novel takes its shape over the course of one day. Florence and Edward have just been married and are consummating their marriage on the shores of Chesil Beach in Dorset England. Spoiler Alert: The marriage breaks up because of the female protagonist's "frigidity." BNoble says the novel takes on subjects of universal interest -- innocence and naiveté, self-delusion, desire and repression, opportunity lost or rejected -- and creates a small but complete universe around them. Maybe . . . I just know Florence was a detestable character and I couldn't stand listening to her voice. I wanted to know what the real deal was with Florence - had she been raped, was she just a victim of the era and family upbringing or just plain awful?

The critics cannot say enough about McEwan. Reader reviews are all over the map. I agree that he's a competent writer. I just don't know if this is his best book. That said, McEwan continues to drum up suspense and the ending of the novel was quite gripping. Should Edward have broken things off with Florence? Could they have gotten through this moment in time? And how awful that one singular hour of a lifetime can have irrevocable outcomes.

I'd put this one on the maybe list.

No comments:

Post a Comment