Monday, May 17, 2010

the one about Alice Walker's daughter.

So this book is written by Rebecca Walker who happens to dislike her famous author mother a great deal.  The book is almost sad because of the level of dysfunction in the author's family.  I mean, no wonder she had so much ambivalence about being a mother when the hatred runs thick for her own.

This book was funny in parts and terribly easy to digest.  I loved the story about the waiting room and the "It won't come out" woman.  My favorite part of the book was this quote: "I am not saying a girl can't have it all, because I am all for making life expand to meet your limitless vision, but I am saying that, first, said girl has to know what "all" really is. 

The quote made me think of the movie Up in the Air and how Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick have completely different world views despite their age difference only spanning 15 years.  I distinctly remember a conversation with a good friend of mine about "having it all: work and family."  That friend ended up quitting her job a few years after our conversation.  I can only imagine her definition changed as most all definitions do.  And maybe, all = more than work + family.  Maybe the work/family balance oversimplifies the whole conversation about what really makes up a full life.

I need to stop reading baby books.  I'm sure this is normal but I feel a little off track.

No comments:

Post a Comment