Monday, May 17, 2010

the one that demonizes obgyns.

Who knew that I could be so affected by Ricki Lake?  Having just watched The Business of Being Born, a documentary that exposes birthing practices in the United States, I was drawn to her book.  I'm left utterly confused now when, in fact, I thought I had it all planned out.  The book talks about the ridiculously high c-section rate of 31% in America compared to other countries and shares stories of powerless mothers whose instincts have been replaced by drugs and other unnecessary interventions. 

And then, the book discusses another way . . . the way to be a birth goddess.  The way not to be cut open and shot up with needles.

Unfortunately, I think this book had an unintended effect on me.   I was so affected by the statistics and comparisons of other health care systems that I'm not sure what's best anymore.  I was feeling more powerful and confident before Ricki Lake's influence. 

I think I better go back to summer chick lit and Pulitzer Prize books before I lose my perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Have you read any Ina May Gaskin- just to add to your hippie reading:)
    http://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274145369&sr=8-1
    Have you checked out the birth center on Grand? That said, I likely would've died had I not had an OB/GYN.
    Also, my massage therapist does rockin' maternity massage if you're looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... I have to tell you... I felt the same after reading several childbirth books. While I so admire the 'birth goddesses' my body made decisions for me. Go with your instincts as long as you trust whomever is working with you. I actually consulted an acupuncturist and liked it.

    ReplyDelete