Thursday, September 2, 2010

the one by ayelet.

Ayelet Waldman was on Oprah a few years back.  I saw the episode.  This was before Oprah starting Skyping and her shows got weird.  I have never seen Oprah viewers get quite so upset as when Ayelet sat Oprah's couch.  Ayelet tried to defend her strong belief that she loved her husband (well known author Michael Chabon) more than her four children.  Quite the Oprah controversy.

Ayelet's response to the backlash is her book Bad Mother.  According to Waldman, this book "is about the perils and joys of trying to be a decent mother in a world intent on making you feel like a bad one."  It reminded me a little bit of Anne Lamott's books and was a refreshing read considering all the hippie, attachment parenting books I've been reading lately. 


I have some worries about being a good parent.  That dinner will be Red Savoy's pizza and Subway more often than not.  That the occasional Bachelor episode and KDWB song will invade our home and our little girl's self esteem.  That I won't sew the beautiful Halloween costumes that my mother did or read the prescribed eight books a day that will help my daughter develop a love for learning.  Gasp.


I'm just going to do the best I can to love my husband and my little girl simultaneously.  My husband will have to make up for my mistakes and I'll make up for his.  And, hopefully, when we're all old and gray we'll laugh together about each and every one of them.


Next on deck . . . Mockingjay, Alexie and childbirth. 

1 comment: