Friday, September 3, 2010

the one I read on my last day.

Revelation: Today is my last day married w/out children.  It's not that we're having the baby immediately.  Simply, it's Friday of workshop week and I had the day entirely to myself.  From now on, I will be working, with Matt or watching Little M.

So, I relished today.  A decaf latte and peach & cherry crumble at Swede Hollow.  Caught up on my google reader and read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

What a lovely book.  It was deep, funny, compelling and sweet at times.   I was crushed by page 10 when Oscar the dog died and then Alexie completely had me by page 59 with the phrase "emotionally erect."  This man has a way with words that completely draws you in.  My favorite scene is when Arnold Spirit Jr wins the basketball game and realizes what he really lost.  the NYT says that Alexie has mastered YA fiction and I completely agree.

This is the kind of book I would want my teacher to read aloud because it sounds so conversational and engaging.  There are so many themes to discuss: generational poverty and alcoholism on the rez, coming of age and the role of family and fathers.  I fell in love with so many characters despite their flaws and faults: Gordy and Rowdy and Penelope.  I wish I could attend the next book club to discuss them all. 

Really, really good pick Kerri!  The perfect way to spend my last day. 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend your day, Jen. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you recognized and celebrated the day for what it was! Glad you like the book. I'm excited about it too. Can't wait to hear the news about your little Miss when she arrives.

    ReplyDelete