Monday, December 20, 2010

the one that glitters and sparkles.

oh how I loved this book.  like literary candy for me.  take one part travel, one part coming of age memoir & another part foodie prose. there is no better combination for me.  i relished in the recipes and french phrases sprinkled throughout.  i remembered the yummy taste of Berthillon ice cream and Laduree macaroons from a visit to the City of Lights years ago.

the stinker Matt is going back to Paris the first week in April.  and I am slowly realizing that our daughter will experience world travel yet another year.  c'est la vie.

lest you think this book was junk chick lit, a thoughtful examination of French vs. American attitudes lies within.  is it better to strive for pleasure or success? less or more?  the author remembers yearly "ladies days" when her mother would take her for lunch at an exquisite French restaurant and out to a Broadway matinee. 

with babe in my arms, I dream of fancy excursions to come and a life more simple and refined. and yes, many, MANY macaroons.  I am an American at heart.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm... sign me up for all of the above. Sounds delightful! I live vicariously through books I think.

    ReplyDelete