Saturday, December 4, 2010

the ones that disagree.

I'm calling a halt to certain parenting books for the time being.
They all confuse me and encourage me not to trust the emerging instincts that parents are supposed to have.
I don't like how they cast judgment and try to fit families into a box. Matt, Maren and I just don't fit.






Babywise
Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child
Dunston
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer


I'm too confused & sleep deprived to even comment on the strategies these books describe. I think it's clear my little one has a bit of the flux which may or may not go away with sugar and dairy deprivation or the passing of days. It's clear that my desperate attempts to research and discover the root of it all is making things worse. Our best days are when I embrace the cries, even the "phantom cries" I hear in my sleep.

I know I'll sleep again someday. It will never be quite as blissful as it once was.
I will never again sleep like a baby . . . whatever that means.

2 comments:

  1. Toss 'em! You'll remember bits and pieces that fit for you. You're a wise woman, Jen P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! Those books... sigh! Sometimes I find a little something that works, but rarely do we fit the mold either. Did I mention how much I loved the book Instinctive Parenting though?

    ReplyDelete