Friday, March 25, 2011

the one about a smart girl.

I love books about smart women.  And I really liked this one.

I have to save some of my thoughts for book club but here are are few snippets:


I'm so glad that being a woman now doesn't mean making compromises.
And yet, it some very different but still significant ways, it does?
I'm glad that the church doesn't do such dastardly things anymore.
And yet, some terrible awful things happen in its name, hmmm?
I'm glad that the poor are not quite so deplored or ignored.
Well actually . . .

I smile that the theme of this book is that education is the one, the only way to better ourselves.



I don't know that this was the best historical fiction. 
Others have turned to Tracy Chevalier and Ken Follett instead. 
But it was a great read. 
Now has anyone seen the movie (2009)?

On a less serious note, I think it's funny that the Karolingian line ended with Charles the Fat.  What a horrible name.

No comments:

Post a Comment