Wednesday, March 16, 2011

the one I think my sister would like.

Just finished A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley.

This book is NOT a happy, smiley read.  It can be very dark at times.
Apparently based on King Lear by Shakespeare.  Which I will NOT be reading.
About a family dynasty in Iowa. 
Everyone either dies of cancer, suicide or farm accident.

I thought of my mother several times as she grew up outside Mason City. 
This book does NOT resemble her life whatsoever but helped me imagine her farm. 
Yes, me.  I am one generation removed from farmers!

Happy to have read another Pulitzer Prize. 
People are ALL over the map with this book so read with care. 
Honestly, I don't know what I thought of this one. 

I'm going to watch the movie . . . even though grandma P thought it scandalous.
They filmed A Thousand Acres outside Dekalb.

Anyone been there, done this book?

2 comments:

  1. I am a little offended - you think I would like it because is is a dark, sad read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read it- in high school or college. I remember thinking it was a wonderful book. One of the first "literary" books I read. The movie was lame. That's my two cents. Probably one I could read again.

    ReplyDelete