Friday, March 4, 2011

the one Matt made me read.

Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to.  Like take medicine or shovel the walk or wake up early on a Saturday morning.  I had to read Ron Paul. 

I'm sort of in a place where I'm learning to understand and explain my own politics.  And (although this book is not one I was eager to read) I always want to be the kind of person that doesn't close off and curiously listens.  This does NOT mean, however, that I will be reading Sarah Palin's bio anytime soon.

Ron has a point of view that is unique and radical.  We probably don't agree on health care, right to choose, taxes (in general) and education.  But, I was surprised at how much we do agree on.  Particularly, our foreign policy and military spending.  The use of torture in the war on terror.  And the draft.


I tried, TRIED to read the section on the Fed and care.  Honest to god.  But Econ 21 and Micro Econ were god awful in college and turned me off from all ideas of inflation and interest rates, etc. etc.  And that's a cop-out but one that I can live with for now.

This book confused and clarified.  And I'm glad I read it.  I may not vote for him but I will listen with interest to a point of view that is different if nothing else.

And now, Matt MUST read either Henrietta Lacks or Slow Death by Rubber Duck.  Because I think he'll like them and because turnabout is fair play.

No comments:

Post a Comment