Friday, July 23, 2010

another one by a foodie.

I quickly read Ruth Reichl's Not Becoming My Mother the other day.  I mean QUICK.  This memoir is 110 short pages long. 

This is Ruth Reichl.









I'm intrigued by Ms. Reichl.  She was restaurant critic for the New York Times and editor in chief for the now defunct Gourmet magazine.  BUT this book is a memoir of her mother and how she experienced limiting choices for her career and life happiness in the 1940s and 1950s. 

think January Jones in Mad Men - if that is a reference for you.  A heartfelt understanding on how the role of women in our society has transformed.

Ruth doesn't think she is all that beautiful.  Her mother grew up feeling ugly too.

My favorite quote:
"You'll see.  Once you find out who you are, you will find your beauty.  You have to grow into your face.  But I promise you this: you will."

There is something about growing old and truly understanding your mother that just appeals.

No comments:

Post a Comment