Friday, July 23, 2010

the one . . . make that three . . . books about babies.

I just finished three books about newborns.  None made me cry OR feel anxious, irritated and overwhelmed.  Would highly recommend.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by the notorious Ina May
Healthy Child, Healthy World by Christopher Gavigan
Heading Home with your Newborn by Jana and Shu

I decided that I would take baby steps (hah!) on being green AND start just with the food chapter in Healthy Child.  Meaning: organic milk & meat, staying away from the dirty dozen, obtaining fruit at farms or markets, stripping plastic from my kitchen and cutting out preservatives, corn syrup and trans fat.  Some of these efforts I have already made but am now re-energized and committed to the task.

My favorite quote was from Ina May and I plan to use it as my mantra for the next six weeks.

 Remember this, for it is as true as true gets: YOUR BODY IS NOT A LEMON. 

You are not a machine. 
The Creator is not a careless mechanic. 
Human female bodies have the same potential to give birth well as aardvarks, lions, rhinoceri, elephants, moose and water buffalo. 
Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body.

True enough.

2 comments:

  1. I loved her book. I was so inspired to go to the farm to have have children!! Now I'll just have to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful quote! Can you come over and help me rid my kitchen of plastic too? I just can't do it!

    ReplyDelete