Wednesday, January 12, 2011

the one I REALLY want to talk about.

Do I ever want to talk about this one.  Good thing BOTH book clubs are reading this month.

I loved this book because I learned SO much.  About cells and the Nuremberg trials and cancer and Tuskegee and how medical research took advantage of so many.  This is not my typical kind of book.  Let's just say I didn't enjoy Bio 21.  Yeah, I was a bio minor, whatever . . .

But this book combines the best of psychology, sociology and science.  My heart grieved for the Lacks family.  My opinion on tissue donation and legal battles is not firmed up yet but I do feel the Lacks family was dealt an injustice.   My favorite part of the book was when Christoph, the French researcher, gave the Lacks family a picture of Henrietta's cells.  I tried to imagine how I would feel if my mother's cells were sold round the world and had changed the world of science.  I couldn't.

I'm curious about Rebecca Skloot.  At times, I felt like she was really interfering in family business.  And yet, I'll always remember the name Henrietta Lacks.  In that way, she served the family well.   

Oh, and Oprah's making a movie on Henrietta Lacks. Soon everyone will know what HeLa cells are.

2 comments:

  1. Oh good! I'm excited! My copy should be here in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's good! I need to slog through this financial crisis nightmare book and then I get to start it.

    ReplyDelete