Sunday, January 30, 2011

the one I had a very visceral reaction to.


Room is narrated by a 5 yo boy, Jack, born and raised with his captive mother in a 12 foot square room. 

This book is loosely based off the true story of Josef Fritzl.  If haven't heard about Fritzl, look here:
Fritzl case 

Once I understood the plot of Room, I put off reading the book.  I've had enough intensity lately with Little Bee, the stupid Stieg Larsson books and the Hunger Games series.  Despite the fact that Room has been talked about all over the internet and was short listed for the Booker Prize, I really didn't want to read it.  But my sister RAVED about the book so I had to give it a try.

The book literally made me queasy.  I had to put the book down for a bit to take a break.  And then I COULD. NOT. STOP.  reading it.  As in reading past midnight, reading in the bathroom, reading when I really should be paying the bills and making dinner. 

I don't know what to say about this book.  There really isn't another book quite like it.   

p.s. Don't read too much about the book before you dive in.  Just dive in. 


p.p.s  I'm not necessarily recommending the book.  I'm just saying I had a visceral rx to it.


p.p.p.s  You needn't send me to a treatment program for book addiction.  I know I'm reading A LOT these days.  My baby has finally learned to nap & sleep and I have learned to embrace both January and a new found Type B personality.  I'm bound to hit a book rut eventually.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of this one and quite frankly, I'm scared of it. Just like Little Bee and Stieg Larsson. I think I'll put it on my list and then put it off.
    You know that those of us commenting on how much you're reading are just jealous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! I think I'll steer clear. Good to see you Sat. Wish we sat next to each other at some point!

    ReplyDelete