Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the one that gave me pause.

I love Kate Braestrup. She's a Unitarian law enforcement chaplain who lives in Maine. Her book about grief, Here If You Need Me, was balm to the soul a few years back. Back when I was reading a lot of books about cancer and death. I go in spurts. What can I say?

Her latest book (Beginner's Grace) is about bringing prayer into your life. I picked it up a few months ago when I was largely overwhelmed by my little infant's cries. It was making me a bit crazy. If an acid reflux baby doesn't make you find God, I don't know what will.

I'm not very good about religion. It's like a shoe that fits too tight on the toe. But, I believe that something is brewing in the universe and I long to be part of a community that will sustain my faith.

"Faith is the confidence that no matter what happens, love is always available - as action, as memory, as a gift from others, as a capacity in myself."  Kate Braestrup

This book is filled with prayers and an instruction manual on how to use them. For the last few months, I have been doing an impromptu prayer. When I notice the clock has turned the same number (2:22, 4:44, etc.) I say a prayer. It's always the same. "God help me to not complain, be patient with this moment and look for the joy swimming in my life." It's a call to attention for me. I take a deep breath and I move on with my day.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I haven't heard of her. Looks like I have a few more books to add to my to-read list too. It's getting awfully long these days... a lot of that is thanks to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love her! Marriage and Other Acts of Charity was a thought provoking book for me. I need to reread, and reread it to help me keep perspective.

    ReplyDelete