Monday, January 3, 2011

the one on the kindle!

Santa was VERY good to me this year. My fav gift was a housecleaner on New Year's Eve.  What a way to start 2011!  Highly recommended.

But a close runner-up was a surprise Kindle. I know, I know . . . I've moaned and groaned about Kindles. Thinking I would never, ever convert.

I must admit. I love my Kindle. So convenient. Helps me read SO quickly, plugging through the screens with a % update on the bottom showing your progress.  Easy to hold when rocking a babe back and forth, back and forth.

My first Kindle book purchase was Slow Death By Rubber Ducky by Rick Smith & Bruce Lourie.  I can't say enough about this book.  Actually, I can.  My husband is sick to DEATH from hearing about it.  I learned so much about the chemicals permeating our world, things we can do, things we can't do to avoid them.  I feel personally attached to this book because I believe in small and large part that my mother's breast cancer diagnosis stems from the pesticides that were present at her family farm.  Other variables too, I know.

This book isn't just sensational, alarming and preachy.  It's a good history on the usage of chemicals throughout time and the politics that surround them.  I want to read the book again and absorb more.  For now, I'm just trying to remember this mantra and pass it along.  For there is much evidence that BPA has frightening connections with breast cancer, ADHD and the like.

"4, 5, 1 and 2.  All the rest are bad for you."  Check those numbers on the bottom!

Oh, and did I mention that I LOVE my Kindle?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Jen. I am a terrible ostrich sometimes and want to avoid reading things like this for fear I will find out it is too late and I can't do anything about anything. I try, but often feel a bit helpless about controlling all the toxins. I wonder too about my mom, how did this happen? Where and why did it start? Hmmm. I think I'll add this one to my list.

    Glad you love your Kindle. Due to budegtary restrictions I'll not be jumping aboard any time soon. I'm sad that so many friends are making the switch as that means I'll have less hand-me-down books to read. I say bah humbug to the Kindle (until I get my own of course!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5,4,1,2 5,4,1,2
    Um, loving the kindle, too1:)
    You'll have to talk to Amy E. about plastic. She can get going, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking about a kindle. Glad you like it - nice present!!

    ReplyDelete